Monday, November 30, 2009

21" Crash and F*kINg bUrn


SHIIIIIT! this 21" front wheel obsession is killing me. So the simple bearing swap turned out to be a bust because the the 17mm ID bearings in the wheel with the busted hub turned out to be 2mm smaller OD making them 40mm not 42mm like the wheel I'm looking to use. No problem just need to buy 17x42 bearings...No such fucking thinG!!!! says rec supply, proline, and Bearing and Transmission. No...*#R%@(&^$...such...*%$^@#(%...FuckIng....Thing!!! What are the odds that a salvage yard has a return policy? FART!

Anyone have a Can-Am front hub that uses a 17mm axle? I think the TNT Enduros used the 17mm and the Qualifiers used the 15mm. ANYONE!? I know they exist because I've got a the cracked one. Mine's a black hub on a 40 spoke Sun alloy rim and it has 6203 bearings. There's also a silver one that uses 6303 bearings. Go look, everyone, right now, I'll wait... Mine looks like this:


with a brake cover like this:

9 comments:

  1. you would think it would be possible to get a 2mm sleeve to fit inside the hole where the bearing should fit. Along the heat fit train of reasoning. not easy prolly easy, but yud think it was possible. Maybe our resident master of metalfab will have and insight. Or maybe Sr. would have a farmer fix for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. The other option is to sleeve the 15mm axle with 1mm sleeves on either end to fit the forks, but where the hell would you get such a thing? Still looking for spacers too Rec Supply had no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is getting far too complicated. There's gotta be a better way. I forget, but why not switch to the dirt bike forks? May have to change the triple tree too. I would speculate that the headstock would be the same if you could find a yamaha/japanese triple tree. The dirt bike forks & triple tree would also have less bumps, knobs, mounting holes etc. Don't know, but like I said, there's gotta be a better way. Shims around the bearings sounds a little precarious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same issues surround steering stems as axles. Bearing size, stem length, fork diameter, all play a factor in compatibility. F! Can-Am has a few 17mm hubs I just need to find one. Anybody comfortable lacing up a wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry boys I'm a bit confused you say the one you need is a 6203 bearing? If so you ought to be able to ask for that bearing at a bearing shop and there you go. I know that is a bit simple so I figure I must be missing the point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need an uncracked hub for the 6203's I've got. My good hub needs 17x42x13 bearings which I've been told by the bearing shop don't exist (bad).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm taking a wheel to Rec Supply for some lacing Wednesday. Have got some broken spokes. Will let you know the cost.

    ReplyDelete