Sunday, March 14, 2010

Feeling good now!

So this was the cause of the whole gas leaking and stupidness though it was not the only factor that caused me the pain in the ass!
One of the floats didn't float so well and I had a bad idea, thought I would repair this float
This is about hour 2

I thought I had it here at hour 4 and after the 16th hour I finally broke down and bought the $12 part since the more solder I put on the heavier the float got and the more irritated I got when the float would still leak. You may have already seen the amount of cleaning I did on the carbs from my last real post which was a long time ago so I won't get into that. I replaced the float and the float valves, gaskets, choke plungers, and various springs and bits. With both carbs cleaned and put back together I thought foolishly that the choke would now work with out binding and that I could finally install that shiny new choke lever that I bought in 07. This is when I started stealing bits from Jordan it must've been a month ago or more and it seemed that I would get the choke working just about as good as I thought then I couldn't let it go at just about. After changing all the choke plunger collars, plunger lifters swaping them all around I got it to work close to the way it was supposed to. My OCD on this issue has finally paid off because today I found the problem "Can you see the difference"


I have no Idea which one came on the the '77 originally but the one on the right is the bitch that works properly in both the



OFF and




ON positions


After finally getting the stupid choke to work I slapped everything back together and of course my battery was dead so i boosted it just to see if it would run after all my mucking around inside and out of the carbs. It runs and seems to idle real nice!!!! I tested the choke out too and the rpms leveled of around 3000 with it on so yea it's working yee haa. Also I've had the gas turned on since this afternoon and my garage still doesn't reek of gasoline so initial testing is showing promise for a fixed set of carbs:) Now my only question for you is if I hadn't told you all about it previously would you be able to tell which part has had some work done to it recently?


Now I'm going to slap those spare carbs back together with all the bits that I took!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, which of these things is not like the other? Kind of screwed yerself with that job, now you have to get that engine looking as nice as those carbs! Suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Keno. and in the works of Hambone now all that's left to do is everything.
    One Winter = One set of Cabs. By this rate you'll have that machine mint by 2020 ;) If the only fault one can find in you is persistence then yer Irie Maan.

    ReplyDelete