Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Your thoughts please

Hello Mules,

I've got a good friend looking at an 81 XS650. He is probably coming down from La Ronge this weekend to check it out and I'm going to tag along since he hasn't riden all that much. Since my experience buying used vehicles has involved an engine rebuild shortly after the purchase about 43.5% of the time I thought I'd see if you guys had any advice on what we should be checking out and such when we go to look at it and also some opinions on the price as I think it may be a bit high though it does have some new paint on it. Anyhow here is the add let me know what you think. Oh yea and he wants me to ride it up to La Ronge for him..... sweet I hope it works out.

http://saskatoon.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-other-1981-Yamaha-XS-650-W0QQAdIdZ148614984

3 comments:

  1. I have bought parts from this dude before. He is a meticulous resto freak. His work should be top notch, provided he has worked on it and is not just flipping it. He is also a real nice guy and may bend a little on the price, but he has a little side business there so he's pretty up on current rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Dunno what to suggest other than looking for obvious gasket leaks and blue smoke. The plus is you know what they're supposed to sound like. bring a compression tester if you have one or ask him how the compression is. I'd rather pay 1500, but 18's likely fair if it's tiptop as Billy suggests. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya "current rates" for old jap stuff is a little skewed lately. Considering what you can get for $3500 right now, but it is spring. If i recall correctly he has had that bike for a year or two now, so the odds are he's tinkered it to primo running con'd. He'd likely give you a garage tour if everyone's got the time, he had an interesting collection of small(er) displacement vintage hondas all tickled to mint.

    ReplyDelete