Tuesday, June 8, 2010

If you want it done right...

7 years ago when I picked up this '76 XL175 with 2300mi, it had carb issues. Everything else is perfect. I didn't know too much back then so took it to a misc bike mechanic type shop. Charged me a bunch of $$$ and it still ran like crap. Took it to another shop, same thing. Took it to a buddy, who spent way to much time on it but at least only charged me for results. (Didn't cost very much). By then I had a pretty good understanding of how carbs should work and this being a SUPER simple carb, was getting pretty pissed off I couldn't get it going right. At 3/4 throttle it flooded itself. I had cleaned and changed the jets repeatedly. Everything looked PERFECT! The only thing I hadn't replaced was the slide needle. The guy at Honda strongly hints that I'm an idiot and that's not the problem, but it doesn't matter because the part is discontinued anyway. The guy from Custom Cycle searches the continent for one and there ain't none to be found in nobody's drawers, anywhere. Rec Supply...well don't even go there. Finally find Graham in Aberdeen of all fucking places! "Sure I got one". Bring it home and it is 1/2" longer than the one I have. Oh well, give it a try I guess. Works Fucking Perfectly!!! MoFo way back at the beginning changed it for some damn mini bike needle or something! At 3/4 throttle there was no needle left in the slide to reduce the flow of gas. So it was getting full fuel but the slide hadn't gone up enough to let in full air! Duh! I almost sold that bike 10 times but then "I'll just try one more thing and if doesn't work..." Well it works all you narrow minded, inside the box, $70/hr mechanics! I know that was a long story about not much, but I just can't friggin believe it! Time to go play in the mud.

4 comments:

  1. bring it out to otopaso trails (or whatever that place is called) We can go tear up the sand!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a membership? I'm in! I rode there heaps as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinkin of gettin one this week but my knee went left when it should have gone north but it's getting better so gonna grab one soon maybe on the weekend we could go out.

    ReplyDelete