Sunday, May 30, 2010

Treasure Hunting

I was lured out to Fort F'ing Qu'Appelle this weekend looking for lost treasure. Big thanks goes to Sastard's Transport Co. for the use of the Mini Monster Movin' Machine.

The promise:
A guy said he had two XS650's, one 90% complete and the other a roller with engine. We went back and forth a bit and ended up at $300 for the whole package.


The reality:
First thing I noticed when I went into the Shed was the 90% complete bike wasn't a 650. I said, "This one looks like a 400." "Nooo." he says. "Yeah. The 650's always looked like that (pointing to the 650 engine in the corner)." "It's maybe a 750..." he says. "750's were triples, not twins. Doesn't matter for $300 I'll take it all."

The 650 engine looks good. Even came with an engine stand which I've been meaning to build. The frame for the 650 was massacred! The back end had a drop seat attempt done with maybe a stick welder and dynamite? Yikes, but the front loop is in tact so that's all that matters. Also has a smooth front end attached with triples.

Got my '70 XS-1 Drum brake front hub though. SWEET! and an old '70 XS-1 18" to match in the rear. Full stock exhaust for the 400 looks in great shape. Also another box of parts and a really nice set of working carbs for both bikes.

Detail shots to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment